How to report faults with Street Lighting and Illuminated Street Furniture

Wrexham County Borough Council’s Environment Department is responsible for over 12,000 street lights. We are also responsible for illuminated traffic signs.

To report a fault with a street light, bollard or road sign using the interactive map, follow these steps: -

  1. Enter your postcode or street in the Location search box and choose the one you want from the list. This will reposition the map on the area you selected.
  2. Under "What's affected", choose the type of item that is faulty, i.e. street light, bollard or road sign. Whatever item you choose will then be shown on the map as working light for working items and faulty light if the item has been reported as faulty.
    Lights marked community light are Community Council owned lights and are not maintained by Wrexham Council. We are unable to take reports on these lights or advise on repairs to them. You will need to contact the relevant Community Council responsible for the light to report faults directly to them. These details can be found by clicking on community light.
  3. Choose the type of problem, e.g. the light is off or the light is on during the day
  4. Select where the problem is. The best way of doing this is to select the item on the map by clicking on the working light If you can't find the item on the map, make sure that you have chosen something in "What's affected". If you have, try zooming in on the map. If you still can't find the item you're looking for, click on "Can't find item on map?". This will then open up an entry box where you can describe where to find the item.

If you are unable to report the faulty light using the interactive map, you can telephone Contact Wrexham on 01978 298989.

When reporting a faulty street light, please provide the following information if you have it to hand:

  • Road Name
  • Lamp number (this is located on a label on the post)
  • Location in road (e.g. reference to a house number)
  • Nature of the fault with the light (e.g. lamp out, day burning)

Emergency Call Outs

The following faults will require emergency action:

  • Impact damage.
  • Damage to underground cable.
  • Damage to overhead cables.
  • Exposed metal work reported as live.
  • Doors missing.
  • Lantern or bowl hanging.
  • Column or pole swaying in wind.

Response Times

The following response times apply:

  • Emergency call out - attend site in 2 hours
  • Faults found on night time inspections or reported by the public - 5 working days

Street light faults are often a result of failure of the mains supply. Most street lights take their electricity from the mains supply. The Council will report these faults to the electricity company. Response times to mains supply faults are governed by a national agreement between the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (OFGEM) and the electricity distribution companies. The performance targets for electricity company responses are as follows:

Service Performance Level
Emergency fault repair response Attend site in 2 hours
High priority fault repair - traffic light controlled 2 calendar days
High priority fault repair - non traffic light controlled Within 10 working days
Multiple unit fault repair Within 20 working days
Single unit fault repair Within 25 working days

A high priority fault repair is a fault which is considered to be urgent, for example at the site of an accident blackspot, major road junction or an area of public order concerns. This category is to be used sparingly by Councils when reporting supply faults.

back to the top